Author Topic: So who thinks there should be a dirt racing game on Xbox?  (Read 2278 times)

Offline IowaRacer_N8

• Rookie
So who thinks there should be a dirt racing game on Xbox?
« on: July 19, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »
So anyway, I was messing around on the internet today on decided to check out the codemasters web site for the Xbox game Dirt. While I was on there I found an email address for people with game ideas and for game designers to send to if they want to do a game. The email address is.... acquisitions@codemasters.com. So I sent them an email descussing the idea of a dirt track racing game with late models, mods, etc and just thought that everyone on here should do the same. The more people that email them the more the chance that they would actually make it. So everyone should mail them and tell everyone one they know to do the same so maybe one day there will be a good dirt racing consol game  :)

Offline Roylee18

• RL Designs
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
  • Keyboard King
    • SlinginDirt
Re: So who thinks there should be a dirt racing game on Xbox?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »
Want a good dirt racing game, pickup WoO 2002. Outside of that, I agree, we need a good console dirt game other then Sprints.
Keyboard King
Are you fast enough?

Offline SPONGEZILLA

• Da' Mackdaddy
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Famer
    • http://www.slingindirt.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »
Want a good dirt racing game, pickup WoO 2002. Outside of that, I agree, we need a good console dirt game other then Sprints.

The odds of getting one, standalone, are pretty slim.  Now maybe bundled into a broader game title...  I wouldn't doubt it as possible (although it'd not be as in-depth as many hope for), much like Gran Turismo had Pike's Peak Hillclimb in the PS One variant years ago.  Maybe even into something like a new Forza or the final release of GT3.  The problem is, there's just not enough $ in volume sales and none of the major development houses will take the risks.  They're looking at "bigger picture" sales of stuff like Half Life, Halo, Bio Shock, etc. that are their bread and butter; i.e. the "Platform" games that draw in ridiculous volumes of clients for minimal R&D cost; their return for these style titles = much bigger (i.e. look at how much Wii has outsold XBox 360 and PS3 as a good example of what I mean).  

Even EA, with the NASCAR license, has pretty much wasted their investment in the contract as the games aren't received as well as the old Papyrus releases amongst the majority that had ran them prior on PC, they just continue to evolve the same engine for console (and have parked the PC variants) vs. address the qualms.  Granted, on a console it's a whole different world, that's why sims are so hard there.

I would suggest hitting someone like SimBin (makers of GTR, GTR 2, GTLegends, Race '07, STCC the Game, etc.) up instead of Codemaster's.  SimBin is a bit smaller potatoes in terms of company size and might be more game to look into it as even their most recent game release, and first console release, Race Pro is on their own console gaming engine and is a bit more hardcore than the majority of the console games.  If they're going to go for "simulation" levels of realism on a console which is sure to appeal to some and not the majority, they're also more inclined to appreciate the niche audiences and look at catering to as many as they possibly can.  If anyone's interested in it, they would be.

http://www.simbin.se/

Otherwise...  it's going to take another backyard developer in the wake of Ratbag or BigAnt to step in to do another standalone release again.  If developed on an engine like Torque3D by Garagegames, it's a possibility for PC, Mac, XBox 360, Wii, etc. which would maximize deployment potential (for PS3 fans...  it's tougher as Cell = much harder to program for, so far Torque3D hasn't been ported to work with Cell...  yet; X360 = simpler because it's basically a heavily revised Windows API port to PowerPC and the development IDE and coding foundations = familiar). There'd still be some coding involved but the engine is largely prepackaged, it'd just need the models and the code developers to extend it and script it to suit the needs.  It's specifically made to appeal to small start-up game developers though.  We were looking into various options after diRtFactor shipped for down the road and this was one of the ones that came up, and at the time Torque3D was all but a dream as it was an older variation of the platform that we were looking at and the preliminaries of what would become Torque3D were still part of the "Torque Shader Engine" which was Windows-only.  We also lacked programmers and struggled with the idea of how to market it to appeal to the traditional dirt track sim racing fan.  The amount of content necessary in-game to compete aptly with the game mods would be significant and from a licensing standpoint, it'd not be cheap to include real drivers + cars without an agreement with a sanctioning body.  Even there, you sort of "split" things too as there'd be WoO fans up in arms over a Lucas Oil license and vice-versa and it's highly unlikely that both would agree to cooperatively join for it (although a World Racing Group contract could pay huge dividends with WoO Sprints, WoO LM's, DIRTcar Mods, UMP DIRTcar LM's and Mods and Street Stocks and Sportsman and Hornets, etc.).

http://www.garagegames.com/

Garage Games won't produce the game for you though but you might get some enterprising developers curious by posting on their boards and showing what type of community is going on via SBS, Slingin, etc. and to what extent we've gone in the past.  Granted, the state of online sim racing for dirt isn't quite where it was in the first DTR release's heyday so we don't really have the foot traffic to show them that there's at least 8,000 hardcore raging dirtheads willing to jump on the title (not that 8,000 is a huge # even there).  The only way though that we'll get to that level of success again though is for a company to take the plunge and the only way for a raging success is for a broader zone of appeal (while there's lots of people into "hardcore" simulation, the "arcade-like" driving dynamics of DTR appeal to many more; to me the key to win both sides is to provide some form of settings that give you physics variations from a more Arcade-level to a Hardcore sim).

Even so, a dirt game will never draw the overall volume that a more mainstream title will, but it's hard to mainstream when you're coming from a small gaming house.  That's why once a developer gets a success, they milk it with numerous sequels.  I mean if you've already got the large majority of the code, the basic storyline and foundations of something expansive written...  subsequent releases become less strenuous.  That said, if done right...  building the core foundations of a dirt track game and then selling add-on packs with numerous add-on facilities/tracks, drivers, car classes, etc. and then doing yearly updates (ala how EA handles Madden) could build a long-term cash cow.  If you figure in a major update every 3-5 years in terms of graphics and physics engine (to tap into newer hardware and keep things modern), models, artwork, and graphics with minor updates yearly...  there's potential there.  You just have to make sure that they can see the profits after initial R&D that can be made on minimal work/outlay.  Sort of take a sim racing game and look at it from the after point of sale approach of providing additional value to the game and an additional revenue stream.  With many consoles offering a "marketplace" for add-ons, consoles aren't immune to the type of add-on packs and upgrades that have existed on PC's for years.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:06:50 AM by SPONGEZILLA »

MySpace * MyFaceBook - Skin painter, not for hire.

Offline EyeDeYa

• Rookie
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 02:31:57 AM »
Didnt look at the date on this thread. Sorry in advance. Not that I would be "bumping an old thread." However very good post Mackey. Exactly why it hasnt been done. These game developers are very cleary looking for ideas. Which is why Codemasters has that link to submit ideas on there websites. But, local type dirt track racing is not it, and it never will be. It is very much a niche market. There are people (like myself) that have NEVER seen a dirt track in real life...lots of them. A lot more that have not then that have. I am sure a lot of you hardcore dirt track fans may not believe that; it is true. I do not ever see it happening on a stand alone game front on the console. The development on a console is a lot more then a PC not to mention Xbox licensing and whatever else there maybe. Sorry dude. Stick to your PC.